SEED OF HOPE CENTRE
Hulene Dump, Santa Isabel and Massindla are inner-city dumps and communities on the outskirts of the of Maputo, Mozambique’s capital. The lack of education and poverty in these communities leads children into premature marriage, prostitution, or crimes as the only options for survival. Seed of Hope addresses the problem of illiteracy and poverty and transforms it into hope through education.
The Community Children Education Centre Project was started in 2013 by Seed of Hope to respond to the suffering and poverty of these communities by focusing on education and job training. Our vision is to see the children and youth of our communities graduate from school, and become self-sustainable, healthy adults who are literate, economically stable, and who marry at a later age. We will accomplish this through our mission - to see holistic community transformation by investing into the lives of vulnerable children through programs that focus on education, community development, and health.
Our program has been built on community development principles, and we use community assets and resources to strengthen our efforts. Currently, the project runs the following activities:
- We have a weekly feeding program for kids and monthly food distribution for ten families
- We do yearly Christmas shoebox gifts for the kids of three communities.
- Annually, we hand out school supplies, through local contributions.
- We pay annual matriculation and registration school fees for 100
- We organize quarterly soccer and basketball tournaments.
- We organize quarterly holiday clubs for moral & civic education.
- We offer skills training to young women of these communities, focusing on sewing, welding, IT, cash saving and small business development.
- We help women and youth access greater economic stability through a cash savings campaign.
Hulene Dump, Santa Isabel and Massindla communities face many challenges. However, Seed of Hope has developed a range of interventions and programs to address many of their needs both in the short and the longer terms. Some of these programs have been in operation since 2013. Since then, we have worked with families by providing support and referral services to many in need. This strengthens our relationships, networks and partnerships within the community. By acting as facilitator, Seed of Hope has been able to establish powerful stakeholder groups to bring individuals from state, business and civil society agencies together to focus on the development of this community.
We believe that through our programs, our clientswill have the ability to live a more economically and socially stable life. Our communities are being equipped and strengthened through education, awareness, civic/moral education and professional training. Many children and their families are assisted and transformed from poverty and marginalization into a healthy and nourishing life. Though these children are poor, we know that they are intelligent and have potential for their future. Additionally, they can become experts to better their own life and of the community. However, these children lack opportunities such as a loving family, descent education, social investments, access to health services and food. Therefore, with the right assistance, these children can become change agents in their own life, community, and country.
As our organization grows, our goals will focus on:
- Providing an excellent education and pre-school day care program for 100 children of our community.
- Offering a range of excellent developmental and service programs.
- Developing building capacity of the Centre to enable us to provide excellent services to the members of the community.
- Providing skill training to vulnerable women and youth.
- Improving health and child care through access to medical assistance.
- Improving nutrition for vulnerable children through a diversification feeding.
- Increasing the number of graduate children from school for self-sustainability.
- Decreasing undocumented children by registration, issuing birth certificates and IDs.
- Diminishing illiteracy and poverty by increasing enrollment of children in schools.
- Reducing absenteeism the school as result of hunger, through a feeding program.
- Reducing malnutrition through a well-balanced diet.
Seed of Hope is led by Martinho Paulo, who is a pastor, educator, and leader for his people. Martinho has founded Seed of Hope Centre to provide education, support, and skill training to orphans, vulnerable children, and families who must scrounge city dumps for survival.
Seed of Hope Centre needs $26,640 to sustain its many efforts for the coming year. Your support will impact the lives of many families, women and children in Mozambique.
SUPPORT SEED OF HOPE TODAY
If you are making a sizable donation, please consider sending a check instead of donating electronically, as this saves us 3% on card processing fees. Please make out to Cultivate International and include a note designating the donation to Seed of Hope), and mail it to us (see here for our address).
More money will go directly to the project!
Seed of Hope Centre – Mozambique
All donations to Cultivate International partners are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law. Cultivate International distributes designated donations based on donor requests and our partners' compliance with Cultivate policies and partnership agreements. Designated donations are distributed to approved projects and we ensure that your donation is used for true community impact. Funds will be distributed to the project and we monitor impact and progress through systems that ensure accountability, transparency, and fiscal responsibility. If you would like to receive a year-end financial summary of your chosen project, please request this summary by sending us an email at email@example.com. We truly appreciate your support and commitment to empowering our partners and their communities!